Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
tablet for 19.97 
Black Friday Amateur

Post tablet for 19.97
I just received a postcard from Micro Center, a regional electronics store. They have a single core, 7" , android 4.2,4gb w/micro sd slot (32gb max) tablet with capacitive screen for $19.97 ; you must use original postcard and only available in store. It's going to be slow but as a e-reader or for checking e-mail it will work. I was thinking of picking one up to travel with or give to a niece /nephew for Christmas. Any ideas good or bad?

Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:26 pm

Post Re: tablet for 19.97
for 20 bucks, it doesn't hurt to try it

Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:29 pm
Black Friday Amateur

This morning I checked out Micro Centers website for the tablet. It's listed as a Azpen A700 and is very, very, very similar to the $49.99 tablets that will be sold on BF. It has a 3.8 out of 5 star review so off I went to try and buy one. I was expecting to get their and be told that they were out but to my surprise they have quit a lot. I have yet to power it up but my initial inspection is quit surprising. It appears to be well packed and pretty well built. I plan to charge it up and make sure it works then I'll probably be giving it to the orphanage.

Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:10 pm

That's a nice gesture, the kids will be happy :)

Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:25 pm
Black Friday Newbie

what region are you in and when did you receive the postcard? this seems like an awesome deal

Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:13 am
Black Friday Amateur

They mailed me a unsolicited coupon for the $19 tablet. They probably bought my info and mailed it as a way to attract new customers.

Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:49 am
Black Friday Amateur

I finally had time to try out the tablet. Despite my fears that it would buzz, pop, and catch fire when powered on it performed flawlessly. It booted up in a reasonable amount of time and everything worked as it should just a little slower than the galaxy tab 2. Typing wasn't as smooth as a galaxy tab 2 but it did only cost a fraction of the price. The screen is uniform in color and function I pressed on apps in all 4 corners and every one did what it was supposed to do. The OS is similar to a android phone so if you are familiar with those this will be a piece of cake. Internet connection was quick, not cable modem quick but comparable to a 3g phone. I didn't experience any noticeable lag when typing or trying to open apps; I thought that I would.

The bad: The onboard flash only leaves you with 1.1gb of free space and its already relegated as to how you can use it. You do however have the option to install a micro sd up to 32 gb for additional space and it comes with 5gb of cloud storage. I can't comment on games or vid playback as I will be giving it away and didn't want to do more than test the unit for function. I believe that with this tablet you will have to watch how many apps you have active at one time it is limited with a 1.2 ghz single core processor and only 512 mb ram. They do recommend that you download a task manager for it. My last con is I was limited to buying just 1@ $19.97. :evil:

Conclusion: They will work well for non-techies, children ,budget minded people or for someone who wants to travel with a $40 tablet and not a $500 ipad. They are a good buy at $40 and even better at $20 if you can find a coupon. I'll probably go back and buy another to give away this Christmas. :mrgreen:

Hope this helps

Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:31 pm
Black Friday Pro

I wouldn't have minded one of those for my 7 year old niece.

Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]