Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
walmart 1 hour guarantee 
Black Friday Newbie

Post Re: walmart 1 hour guarantee
Hi Everyone, apologies if this has already been asked: I've never done the 1-hour guarantee at Walmart before, is there just going to be ONE line for the different items and then wristbands will be distributed that way? I think last year or the year before I remember being inside a Walmart and there were people who were waiting for a laptop but they were all waiting inside the store? I'm trying to get the $278 laptop this year and I just want to make sure I'm waiting in the right place. thanks!

Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:41 pm
Black Friday Newbie

I know in the past, Best Buy would give you a ticket for an item and told you to come back much later the same day. Guess I'll be heading to my store and asking. I really need the Xbox but the TV is just something I want to get bc I'll need to replace one. It's not a gift or anything. I just want it. :lol:

Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:48 pm
Black Friday Amateur

carmenslackey wrote:
I wouldn't be so hung up on trying to get the Walmart item early, after all, it's only a cheap tablet, but it's the only thing on hubby's Christmas list this year and no one else is going to get it for him. Would he be happy with the $39.99 generic tablet from KMart? Sure he would, but it's not the one he really wants. It's like ordering filet mignon and settling for chipped beef.

I registered just to post a reply to this. Those are BOTH bottom of the bucket, budget tablets. Once you go sub $100 they are all going to be practically the same. Low screen resolution on an already small screen, low ram, low storage, likely a lower binned dual core only. Even a refurb Acer that's a year or 2 old will outdo most of these low end sale tablets for not too terribly much more. You should really find out WHY he has his heart set on that particular unit because you can do a TON better than that. Just the huge bezel alone is a major turn off (to me atleast).

I just don't have anything good to say about the budget tablet market, lol. And the no-name tablets are even worse in build quality coming out of a cheap chinese factory. Have had more than a few come to me to get fixed because they just one day decide to no longer power on again.

Edit>> Forgot to add that the battery life on that tablet is just down right terrible. Having owned a few tablets for a couple years now, you seriously want more than 4 hours w/ wifi off.

Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:15 pm
Black Friday Pro

He isn't a techie person, that's why. The only thing he wants to use it for is to look up FAQs for his video games, and neither of us can fathom putting out $200-300 for a mid to top of the line tablet when it isn't going to be used a lot. The RCA one has 8GB of internal storage, instead of 4GB like most of the other cheapy models. I also have friends who own this exact tablet who say it isn't that bad for being on the lower end, and will work for the purpose hubby wants it for.

A little background: My hubby isn't into the whole tech thing. He doesn't have nor want his own PC or laptop, his phone is completely basic, 3 years old, and gets used so seldom that I sometimes question why he has one at all, he doesn't have a facebook or an instagram or anything like that (he didn't have myspace either when that was popular), and he wouldn't even know that youtube or netflix existed without me and a couple friends from work.

The only reason he wants a tablet at all is for the reason I stated above. Some would question why he just doesn't have me look it up for him on my laptop, and the reason for that is because I work from my laptop, and he needs the page open for hours on end. He originally wanted a mini laptop, but I talked him out of it because most of them are garbage and cost a lot more. I even offered to grab him a cheapy laptop, but he says he doesn't want something as big as mine. So we settled on the tablet thing. While I know it's a lower end product, since it won't be used for 'normal' activities, I'm not concerned about it, especially since I've messed around with my friend's.

But thank you for trying to help! And welcome to the forums! :)

Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:42 pm
Black Friday Amateur

Even still, you're getting a pretty terrible screen and battery on that tablet. If he's using it for hours on end, he'll need to be tethered to a power source.

So you don't have to worry about going to walmart at all, have you looked into what deals you can get on a Kindle Fire HD? If you have anyone heading to staples you can get the Fire for $79. For just reading and browsing, this would be a ton better of a unit and only around $100 or less if you can catch a decent sale. It's not an actual Android load out, but for a non-techie type the Kindle os doesn't seem to be a mater.

Also, don't worry about how much onboard storage is there on these cheap units as long as there is a SDHC slot. They won't be able to handle the HD games anyways, so you'll only be loading basic apps onboard. Movies, music, .pdf files and what not can be loaded externally.

Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:00 pm
Black Friday Pro

His mom has a Kindle Fire, and I don't know why, but he doesn't like it. He never liked my Nook either. When this whole discussion started about the tablet thing, I tried and failed miserably at talking him into just using my Nook to look up his FAQ things. He said he didn't like it. No explanation, just doesn't like it.

I think he's set on the RCA because his one friend at work has one just like it. One day over the summer, they got stranded at McDonald's with a dead battery and his buddy let him watch netflix on it and showed him some apps while they waited for AAA. That's when the whole tablet thing kicked into motion, and you know pretty much the rest of it.

I wish he'd be up for the Kindle, but he's just so stubborn. I love him with all my heart, but I'll tell you, there are days when I just wanna smack him lol.

I haven't ruled out Amazon just yet, they may have some good deals on tablets too. I may go back and skim through the Target ad again since that's where I'm going after Walmart.

Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:02 pm
Black Friday Newbie

I am heading to Walmart on Thanksgiving for the the 32" Funai t.v. and two PS3 video games. Both are being offered at 6 pm. My guess is that there will be two separate lines in different parts of the store for the t.v. and the video games. It will be just me waiting in line as the rest of the family will be at home in the warmth eating dessert no doubt. It's not imperative that I bring the t.v. home that day but I wouldn't mind bringing it home just in case there's a snafu and the store doesn't receive its allotment of shipped tv's. How do I make certain I get at least a guarantee for both the t.v. and the video games during the timeframe of 6-7 pm?

Does anyone know if the 32" Funai is a fairly decent t.v.? I didn't see one at Walmart so have been unable to judge image quality.

Thanks for your help.

Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:13 am
Suspected Line Jumper

The best way to guarantee that you get both items is to have another person so each person can stand in a different line. But, I think that it probably would be possible for one person to successfully be in two lines within the hour. Being in one of the lines very early would help increase your odds.

People will probably tell you that Funai is a junk brand, so the quality will be hit or miss. Please see viewtopic.php?f=25&t=26129 and the article linked to in that topic's first post for more information. Since it is a Black Friday special item, you will not see this television set up in the stores.

- 2013 Spreadsheet of all the Black Friday deals

Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:11 am
Black Friday Newbie

Thanks, Shopper X. As I mentioned, it will be only me. Can't get there too much before the 6 pm window as it would mean missing Thanksgiving dinner with the family, which is not an option. I'm thinking that I will probably go ahead and get the guarantee ticket instead of the wristband, pay for it right away and pick up the t.v. at a later date. That will give me time to get in line for the video games.

The Funai t.v. would be used strictly as a monitor for my nephew's PS3 so it doesn't have to be of the highest quality. Anything will be better than the old cathode ray tube t.v. he's using now. Does anyone have any experience with purchasing one of these "junk t.v.'s" in previous years? If so, were they snapped up quickly?

Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:40 am
Black Friday Pro

i would think it would be possible to hop in multiple lines for guarantee cards in an hour. wouldn't it?
i can't imagine it will take them long to just pass out cards to people - or is the process more intensive than i'm thinking it is?

Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:50 am
Profile WWW
Black Friday Amateur

GF got the 32'' last year, then went back through the line and got a guarantee card. As long as you're not in a GIANT city walmart, you should be fine getting atleast the card.

As to the quality, lets face it, you're buying a $100 tv. In the tv world, price DOES scale with quality of product for the largest part. If you're not to concerned about picture quality, then the only thing you have to worry about is if it works or doesn't work when you take it out of the box. Also, a lot of the bottom end tvs only come with a 90 day warranty that you likely wouldn't even use anyways since you'd have to pay to ship the tv to get fixed. If you buy the tv already knowing this, then you should be fine with what you get.

Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:18 pm
Black Friday Newbie

You said your GF first got the 32" t.v. and then went back through the line for the guarantee card. A guarantee card for the t.v. or something else? How has her t.v. held up over this past year?

So the $98 t.v.'s are built as $98 t.v.'s. My thought was that it was actually a $200 - $250 t.v. discounted to $98. It's too bad it's not a brand that is already in the store so that picture quality can be judged ahead of time. Best Buy is offering a 29" Insignia LED t.v. for $169.99. That may be the better deal in the long run as Insignia is a brand with which I'm familiar.

I live in a fairly large metropolitan area. I spoke with the department manager at both Walmart and Meijer that they haven't been advised how they'll be running the sale by home office just yet.

Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:40 am
Black Friday Amateur

Went back through and got a 32'' guarantee card. There was a hickup when trying to do the registering the giftcard online, but it worked the next day. They are both working fine as far as I know, I don't use either of them at all though.

And yes, the cheap tvs are built cheap. Normally these would sell for ~$150, but even at the $98, they're still making money from it. Another thing I learned this year is that a LOT of the budget tvs on BF are actually a special run that might have different parts in them versus what is in the same tv normally. The deal is fine though as long as you are aware of what you are actually purchasing and not hyping yourself up for something better than what it is.

Also, Funai is the parent company and supplier to a lot of other companies, though you may not have been aware. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funai

Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:26 pm
Black Friday Newbie

carmenslackey wrote:
OK, so after reading this whole thread, I have a question....

With the 1 hour guarantee thing, if I walk back to where they're handing out the wristbands and request a guarantee card instead, will they give me one? Here's where this is coming from - I need to get the RCA tablet that doesn't go on sale until 8pm. I'll be at Target at 8pm and currently have all my 'minions' doing other things, meaning I and they would have to miss out on other things to wait in line at Walmart for one single solitary thing. I guess what I'm basically saying is, would they honor the 8pm price on a guarantee card purchased at 6pm? This whole thing confuses me, and I really don't want to bribe my more inexperienced friends to wait around for a wristband.....

I'm wondering the same thing. I don't care if I get one that day and am willing to come back next week to pick it up if the process is faster tomorrow. Can I just go to CS or a checkout line and pay for the guarantee card?

Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:47 pm
Black Friday Pro

Fuzzball wrote:
carmenslackey wrote:
OK, so after reading this whole thread, I have a question....

With the 1 hour guarantee thing, if I walk back to where they're handing out the wristbands and request a guarantee card instead, will they give me one? Here's where this is coming from - I need to get the RCA tablet that doesn't go on sale until 8pm. I'll be at Target at 8pm and currently have all my 'minions' doing other things, meaning I and they would have to miss out on other things to wait in line at Walmart for one single solitary thing. I guess what I'm basically saying is, would they honor the 8pm price on a guarantee card purchased at 6pm? This whole thing confuses me, and I really don't want to bribe my more inexperienced friends to wait around for a wristband.....

I'm wondering the same thing. I don't care if I get one that day and am willing to come back next week to pick it up if the process is faster tomorrow. Can I just go to CS or a checkout line and pay for the guarantee card?

most likely most of the Walmart that i have friends that work there have all said that they received 180 of the 98 tvs. so it might be a while before the run out and start giving out the card.

Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next