Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
DVRs or DVD/VCR Combos? 
Black Friday Newbie

Post DVRs or DVD/VCR Combos?
I haven't seen many DVRs on sale in the ad that have been posted so far, or at least not ones I liked. Any recommendations? I'm looking for a good quality one, not one of the cheap brands.

I'm also looking for a DVD/VCR combo for my mother. I heard Sears is going to have a Sony on sale for about $90 on BF. Is this a good one, or a good deal?

Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:47 pm
Black Friday Pro

Post Re: DVRs or DVD/VCR Combos?
shopgirl83 wrote:
I'm also looking for a DVD/VCR combo for my mother. I heard Sears is going to have a Sony on sale for about $90 on BF. Is this a good one, or a good deal?

That is not a deal at all if it is just a DVD player. I got a DVD/VCR for $40 on BF last year. If you look around enough you can probably get one for that price (or maybe $60-70 at worst) by just walking in somewhere.

If, however, you are looking for one that also records DVDs and/or "upconverts" DVDs, that would be a little more. The best deal (non-sale) I have found for a DVD recorder/VCR combo is around $150.

Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:47 am
Black Friday Newbie

Adamixoye wrote:
shopgirl83 wrote:

That is not a deal at all if it is just a DVD player. I got a DVD/VCR for $40 on BF last year. If you look around enough you can probably get one for that price (or maybe $60-70 at worst) by just walking in somewhere.

If, however, you are looking for one that also records DVDs and/or "upconverts" DVDs, that would be a little more. The best deal (non-sale) I have found for a DVD recorder/VCR combo is around $150.

I said in my original post that I wanted a DVD/VCR combo, not just a a DVD player. For $40 was it a very good one? I don't want one of those cheap Coby or Audiovox brands. I'm partial to Sony because of their quality and I've used most of their products in the past. I just don't know if the one Sears has is a very good one or not, that's what I'd like to know.

Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:04 pm
Black Friday Pro

shopgirl83 wrote:
I said in my original post that I wanted a DVD/VCR combo, not just a a DVD player.

I am aware. My whole post was about combos with a VCR. When I said "just a player" I meant as opposed to a recorder or an upconverter, as explained in my post. (If I was talking about just DVD players without a VCR, you can get no-name ones for as little as $10 on BF.) The DVD/VCR combo that I got last year for $40 might not be the greatest (it's tunerless, for one) but it isn't a brand no one has ever heard of---it's a Zenith---and it has worked out fine for us so far. So I'll say what I said before...unless it's a recorder, an upconverter, or some crazy good brand that cooks your breakfast as well, I don't think $90 is a very good BF deal for a DVD/VCR combo. It's more like an average non-sale price, if that.

Now, is this even an item that's on the BF radar this year? (Meaning, is there a sale on one?) That's a different question. I haven't been looking.

Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:46 pm
Black Friday Newbie

Adamixoye wrote:
shopgirl83 wrote:
I said in my original post that I wanted a DVD/VCR combo, not just a a DVD player.

I am aware. My whole post was about combos with a VCR. When I said "just a player" I meant as opposed to a recorder or an upconverter, as explained in my post. (If I was talking about just DVD players without a VCR, you can get no-name ones for as little as $10 on BF.) The DVD/VCR combo that I got last year for $40 might not be the greatest (it's tunerless, for one) but it isn't a brand no one has ever heard of---it's a Zenith---and it has worked out fine for us so far. So I'll say what I said before...unless it's a recorder, an upconverter, or some crazy good brand that cooks your breakfast as well, I don't think $90 is a very good BF deal for a DVD/VCR combo. It's more like an average non-sale price, if that.

Now, is this even an item that's on the BF radar this year? (Meaning, is there a sale on one?) That's a different question. I haven't been looking.

I don't know why you keep bring up DVD players because that's not what I want. The DVD/VCR combo is in the Sears ad. I mentioned that twice. That's why I'm asking.

Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:59 pm
Black Friday Pro

shopgirl83 wrote:
I don't know why you keep bring up DVD players because that's not what I want. The DVD/VCR combo is in the Sears ad. I mentioned that twice. That's why I'm asking.

I haven't "kept bringing them up". In my first post, I may have been a little ambiguous, but I meant a DVD/VCR combo where the DVD half is only a regular player and not a recorder/upconverter. In my second post I brought up DVD-only players as a point of comparison to clarify my first post.

I'm aware of what you want (a combo), and I've answered your question twice already, but I looked at the Sears ad to be sure and I'll answer it a third time...I don't think the Sony DVD/VCR for $85 is a particularly good deal, unless having the name brand of Sony is very important to you. There is a Magnavox combo for $50 (after $10 mail-in rebate) at both Sears and K-Mart, and a Memorex combo at Target for $60. Do with that information what you want.

Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:17 pm
Black Friday Newbie

I'll just wait for another opinion because I don't consider Magnavox or Memorex good brands.

Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:41 pm
Black Friday Pro

what do you base a good brand on then? That magnavox is GREAT at that price. I paid 50 each for two of them a year ago and we absolutely love them...
they are made in combination with Phillips these days and have a good warranty as well. I still have a Magnavox VCR tbat works that I bought in 94.
Honestly dont base your opinion on the name on smaller electronics...
None of them are made to be particularly long lasting anymore and it makes no sense to pay 90$ for one if you can find one for 30-50 cause its not likely either one will last 5 years....
I tend to agree on memorex but only because i have seen too many fall apart in less than 6 mos.
Steff

Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:25 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Black Friday Newbie

I've owned Magnavox products before, some of the worst purchases I've ever made.

Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:41 pm
Black Friday Pro

i got a sony dvd/vcr combo for 50 dollars last year's black friday at fry's electronics. :lol:

Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:22 pm
Black Friday Newbie

Ok, that helps. I was wondering if the price Sears had it for was any good. Are you happy with the one you bought? Or the person you bought it for?

Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]