Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Wal-Mart to stay open all night on Thanksgiving 
Black Friday Amateur

Post Wal-Mart to stay open all night on Thanksgiving
How is this going to work? Do you just lurk by the stock doors for them to bring stuff out?

http://money.cnn.com/2009/11/11/news/co ... /index.htm

Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:52 pm
Black Friday Amateur

I was just about to post the same article.

It's too bad that ALL major stores can't do this or something similar every year. Thre are a lot of older people who cannot compete with the younger ones to get something - this seems so much better! If you have a ticket then you are guaranteed that the item will be there for at least 24 hours. If I am correct, if you do not pick up the item within that time peroid, then it's wide open for anyone.

Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:59 pm
Black Friday Pro

I do not know how this is going to work in my area that does not have a 24 hr walmart.

People will be hanging out at the store all day so...do they kick them outside the store and wait outside in the cold or form lines in the store all day?

As far as I am concerned, this will breed more confusion in my area.

Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:56 pm
Black Friday Pro

I read that article earlier and promptly called my cousin to ask if this resolved his issue with corporate. Earlier this year, he put in a request that his store remain open 24/7 for BF, citing last year's fiasco in NY as his reason. Corporate denied his request. When I asked him about it today (well yesterday now), he said his WM still has to close. This is so dumb! They announce that most stores will be open on Thanksgiving, and yet my cousin's store, which is in a major city, is one of the few that has to stay closed. He's livid, and so am I. Why couldn't they let the ones in tiny areas stay closed? :?

All I can say is that WM needs to get it's priorities straightened out before they have more incidents...

Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:48 am
Black Friday Pro

it may have something to do with the city/town and their rules. so it may be out of Walmarts hands.

Not sure how it works in the US but I know for certain holidays in Canada, stores have to apply for special permissions to be open on the holiday and it's up to the town or the city (or some form of government).

Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:07 am
Black Friday Amateur

I read that article earlier and promptly called my cousin to ask if this resolved his issue with corporate. Earlier this year, he put in a request that his store remain open 24/7 for BF, citing last year's fiasco in NY as his reason. Corporate denied his request. When I asked him about it today (well yesterday now), he said his WM still has to close. This is so dumb! They announce that most stores will be open on Thanksgiving, and yet my cousin's store, which is in a major city, is one of the few that has to stay closed. He's livid, and so am I. Why couldn't they let the ones in tiny areas stay closed? :?

All I can say is that WM needs to get it's priorities straightened out before they have more incidents...

The link I was gonna post had more to it:

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/ar ... day-crowds

Please note the following:

The most significant change at Wal-Mart is that the majority of its discount stores (as opposed to its Supercenters) will open Thanksgiving morning at 6 a.m. and stay open through Friday evening. Last year, those stores closed Thanksgiving evening and reopened early Friday morning. By keeping the stores open for 24 hours, Wal-Mart is hoping for a steady flow of shoppers instead of mammoth crowds swelling outside its stores in the wee hours of Friday.

In another new twist this year, shoppers at Wal-Mart will not have to sprint toward a pile of flat-screen televisions and scuffle with one another to get one. Rather, customers will be able to enter the store at any time and line up at merchandise displays for the must-have items on their lists. When the products go on sale Friday at 5 a.m., workers will supervise the lines, giving shoppers the merchandise in the order in which they joined the line — until the goods are out of stock.

Bottlenecks and agressive shoppers are also addressed in this article.

Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:57 pm
Black Friday Pro

Yes, I'm liking the idea of being able to cruise around WalMart all evening & visit with people there....should be some seriously funny "people of WalMart" there.....

Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:20 pm
Black Friday Pro

it definitely has to do with the area of town that the stores are in.
nothing to do with BF but when they built the newest walmart here in town, the suburb that it was in was fighting for it to be a walmart that wasn't open 24 hours because it's in the 'nicer' area of town because they didn't want the traffic at all hours of the night. not sure of the outcome but if walmart has an agreement set up with the city then they have to get their approval first, and that might be the issue with the walmarts that aren't staying open, they aren't being allowed to by the residents.

Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:49 pm
Profile WWW
Forum geek

I do not know how this is going to work in my area that does not have a 24 hr walmart.

People will be hanging out at the store all day so...do they kick them outside the store and wait outside in the cold or form lines in the store all day?

As far as I am concerned, this will breed more confusion in my area.

ALL Walmarts are open 24hrs this year

Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:54 pm
Profile WWW
Black Friday Pro

nope not all - if you read the article it states that local laws prohibit stores in certain areas from saying open 24 hours.
most walmarts will be open, but not all.

Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:55 pm
Profile WWW
Forum geek

If I lived in an area that prohibited a store from being open 24hrs, I'd move. :lol:

Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:00 pm
Profile WWW
Black Friday Newbie

Post Walmart staying open all night.
Last year (2008) a woman rammed her shopping cart into me on purpose. My Walmart did nothing to protect people.

Last edited by tjammers on Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:20 pm
Black Friday Amateur

it definitely has to do with the area of town that the stores are in.
nothing to do with BF but when they built the newest walmart here in town, the suburb that it was in was fighting for it to be a walmart that wasn't open 24 hours because it's in the 'nicer' area of town because they didn't want the traffic at all hours of the night. not sure of the outcome but if walmart has an agreement set up with the city then they have to get their approval first, and that might be the issue with the walmarts that aren't staying open, they aren't being allowed to by the residents.

It wouldn't happen to be the one in Clinton Township, MI that opened on Thursday??

Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]