Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Walmart 
Black Friday Newbie

Post Walmart
Did anyone else find that it was unfair last year to show up at Walmart at 3am. The ad said sale starts at 4am so we get there an hour early only to
find out that they started handing out "tickets" at 10 pm the night before and people had to stand in line the entire time to get what they were there for.
Be honest this year and put in your ad that tickets will be handed out early. Some Walmarts handed out tickets at midnight where some started the tickets
at 10 pm. Be fair this year to all your shoppers.

Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:40 am
Black Friday Pro

That's pretty much how every store does it. It's like waiting in line at a restaurant; first come, first served. Everyone had the option to get there whenever they wanted. You chose to go an hour before, but other people chose to go 8 hours before. Even if they hadn't have handed out tickets, those people still would have been in line before you.

Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:44 am
Black Friday Pro

the way walmart handles things seems to be a problem almost every year. Also there doesn't seem to be much uniformity in the way the stores handle BF or I think last year they called it "the big event"

This is part of the reason i do not go to walmart on bf.

Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:48 am
Black Friday Pro

I think a lot of confusion at WalMart last year came from them having two sales..one at midnight and the other at 5. Like what pandagirl said though, it is first come first serve on Black Friday. Some people start lining up Thanksgiving day or earlier!

Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:39 am
Profile WWW
Black Friday Pro

I think a lot of confusion at WalMart last year came from them having two sales..one at midnight and the other at 5. Like what pandagirl said though, it is first come first serve on Black Friday. Some people start lining up Thanksgiving day or earlier!

Right. For me it wasn't the people already in line that had me pissed. I was confused by the 5am sale items that people already had in their carts at 10 pm, when in years passed..no one was to touch anything before the sale started.

Bottom line, Walmart needs make things a bit easier and have 1 sale time this year. If they decide to have 2, then they need to be more clear on the rules.

Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:19 pm
Black Friday Pro

In general I liked the way wal mart did it last year with the pajamas and dvds and household stuff being at midnight and the big stuff being at another time...but I wasn't wanting any of the big ticket stuff.
steff

Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:32 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Black Friday Pro

In general I liked the way wal mart did it last year with the pajamas and dvds and household stuff being at midnight and the big stuff being at another time...but I wasn't wanting any of the big ticket stuff.
steff

Same here. I liked it too. In our walmart they had most of the other stuff spread throughout the store, and the big ticket items were in the pharmacy area. Kept everyone nice and separate. Either way there would be people there waiting till morning so it was nice to have them in a totally separate area from all the midnight shoppers. I wasn't after anything big ticket either. So we got to get in, get our stuff and go home to go to bed for a few hours before heading to Menards. I would imagine it was great for the people waiting for the bigger ticket items because by I would guess 2am or so, everyone from the midnight crowd would be checked out and the store would be quiet again. Putting them in the pharmacy I think was smart because more than likely, no one in the midnight crowd was there to get meds anyway, they were there for other stuff.

Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:51 pm
Profile WWW
Black Friday Pro

steffj89 wrote:
steff

Same here. I liked it too. In our walmart they had most of the other stuff spread throughout the store, and the big ticket items were in the pharmacy area. Kept everyone nice and separate. Either way there would be people there waiting till morning so it was nice to have them in a totally separate area from all the midnight shoppers. I wasn't after anything big ticket either. So we got to get in, get our stuff and go home to go to bed for a few hours before heading to Menards. I would imagine it was great for the people waiting for the bigger ticket items because by I would guess 2am or so, everyone from the midnight crowd would be checked out and the store would be quiet again. Putting them in the pharmacy I think was smart because more than likely, no one in the midnight crowd was there to get meds anyway, they were there for other stuff.

Ours was a madhouse from 11pm until when I left at 6:00am. It was pure chaos. Big ticket items were all over the place- some in weird almost impossible to find places, 5am sale items that didn't have a line were a free for all at midnight- but they just couldn't be rung up until 5am. This resulted in all the merchandise being cleared out by about 3 am, and a checkout line literally a mile or more long zig-zagged throughout the store. It was ridiculous.

Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:33 pm
Black Friday Pro

GinaBeana87 wrote:

Right. For me it wasn't the people already in line that had me pissed. I was confused by the 5am sale items that people already had in their carts at 10 pm, when in years passed..no one was to touch anything before the sale started.

Bottom line, Walmart needs make things a bit easier and have 1 sale time this year. If they decide to have 2, then they need to be more clear on the rules.

Agreed! Do whatever you want (stores), but be clear and consistent about it!

Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:51 pm
Profile WWW
Black Friday Pro

I was in line for the laptop and by time the tickets were given out at 12 all the 5am stuff was gone, and I didnt even get the laptop being 10th in line. :(

Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:02 pm
Black Friday Pro

Ours was a madhouse from 11pm until when I left at 6:00am. It was pure chaos. Big ticket items were all over the place- some in weird almost impossible to find places, 5am sale items that didn't have a line were a free for all at midnight- but they just couldn't be rung up until 5am. This resulted in all the merchandise being cleared out by about 3 am, and a checkout line literally a mile or more long zig-zagged throughout the store. It was ridiculous.

Oh my goodness! Yes, that IS ridiculous. No excuse for that! I can see where everyone is coming from on wanting consistency between the stores. Isn't it amazing how one place can be so orderly and another so messed up? Maybe the reason ours is so orderly is because we are in such a small town. We don't even break 10,000 people. I can't imagine being in a bigger city.

The only "disorder" I could say we had was they left a bunch of Zhu Zhu pets in the actual toy aisle. They had a pallet of them, but then a bunch in the toy aisle. People were grabbing them off the shelves and putting them in their carts. Well some of the workers noticed them and insisted that they broke into the pallet early and were going to make them put them back. After a number of people had the same story and the pallet had been inspected, they let it fly.

Checkouts were insane but that's to be expected. We were lucky enough to have all our stuff we needed right away and were in a check out right away and didn't have to wait through those insanely long lines.

Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:36 pm
Profile WWW
Black Friday Pro

http://youtu.be/4yDTvIIT5OI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCoR2hcs ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jGar1U4 ... re=related

Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:56 pm
Profile WWW
Black Friday Pro

Yikes!

Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:02 pm
Profile WWW
Black Friday Pro

I"ve always found Walmart pretty orderly on Black Friday -- the trick really seems to be to call ahead and speak to the manager who will be on duty on Black Friday and find out exactly how they are going to handle things. Tickets get passed out a certain time, the ticket lines have certain rules. What pallets will be opened when. I've always been able to get that information ahead of time so that I can plan ahead. Also find out which items they will price match early. I usually get there by 9:00 pm, get the stuff that I'm going to price match and anything I can put in my cart early. Then I go walk around make sure I know exactly where everything I want is going to be placed - and then I park myself next to the pallet of the item I want the most. I'm not usually there for really big ticket items - so I usually start by the movies and games.

Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:39 am
Black Friday Pro

I personally did not care for the separate times. I was first in line for the Laptop last year but they did not hand out the tickets until 2. The first sale started at 12, which if you shop solo could not get anything because you are in line waiting for your ticket. However the earlier time lets you get Walmart out of the way and time to rush to the next store before they open. I guess it's all about the whole BF experience....planning, priority and strategy :)

Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next